Monday, May 18, 2009

Why management education is still relevant - lessons learnt the hard way

For a while have been rethinking my decision to pursue an MBA. I share this feeling with quite a few of my colleagues. One year has passed since I began this roller coaster journey, but have not been able to remove this thought from my head, and the setting in of the recession has not helped matters either.
I would like to highlight events that have steadily changed my feelings of despair into hope. I now truly feel that management education has it's hidden merits. The turning point has been my quest for enlightenment in my "summer internship". People always tell me what a great company they had a chance to intern with; I tell them about the not so great one I ended up in. The greatest lesson I learnt here is, "How not to do things". And trust me I have learnt from the best in the industry.
All the non nonsensical theory which I loathed and found no practical use for, suddenly seemed to make sense. Wish I could give the people here a discourse on the same.
My MBA has thought me to reflect regional content and diversity. I understand the needs of my customers better, because I have learnt to put myself in their shoes first. Only if you are able to connect with them can you proceed to sell something to them. All that technical knowledge and other brouhaha can be thrown out the window.
It has made me more competitive as there are fewer management jobs out there, and also forced me to become the proverbial jack of all trades. I am being forced to reinforce my resume. Things which I earlier ignored are becoming significant all of a sudden. The fear of this recession has actually made me more astute.
I have actually started networking, this will be a valuable lifeline when I need it. The age of one man show's is over and the current global environment has given us ample evidence. It really isn't that hard to do but does require an effort.
Also the recession is the perfect time to pursue an MBA because instead of being stuck in a rut you are using your time to try out something different. You are adding value to self while not missing out on any opportunities.
Glad to be doing my MBA! That is all I can say, at least I will not end up making a fool of myself when I start my professional career. As for my mentors here all I have to say is that even fools are an integral part in a circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment